Thursday, October 27, 2016

Storytelling: Of Snakes and Boys

Image result for rattlesnake pictures
Rattlesnake poised to strike.
Source: Flickr
A long time ago, when we could still talk to the other animals, there were three children playing outside of their house. All of a sudden, the youngest of the three froze with fear and gave a little squeak, as that was all she could muster. The other two boys followed her eyes, and saw for themselves a brown snake with diamonds running up and down its length. The eldest boy yelled at the snake, demanding to know why the snake was so close to their land.

"Your land?" the snake replied snidely. "My ancestors and I have inhabited this land since long before your people decided to cut down the trees and make your wooden caves, and not that it's any of your business, but you disgusting creatures often attract mice." This angered the two older boys severely, as their father and all of the elders of the village told them of how they would one day inherit the land for their own.

Thinking quickly, the younger boy told the snake of a spot just around the corner he had seen many mice scurry into. Warily, at first, the snake began to make its way around to the backside of the house to the place the boy described. When the snake was finally out of sight, the boys began to converse hurriedly. The older boy took off to go find a forked tree branch while the younger of the two sprinted inside to grab their father's hunting knife. By the time they were able to get around to the back of the house with their tools, all they could see of the snake was a portion of the tail protruding from the hole which they described to him. As the hole housed only mice, it was extremely narrow, and the snake had a difficult time maneuvering in and around. Just as he turned a corner and saw his prey, he felt pressure on his back and then a burning pain shooting up his body. Because of the tight quarters of the burrow he had nowhere to go but forward. There he hid alongside his prey for a good while, as the pain had driven all sense of hunger from his mind.

Upon seeing the cruelty of the two boys, the gods began fervently discussing what to do about the situation. It was decided that because the snake had incited the boys with his speech, humans would no longer be able to communicate with the other animals of the world. The gods also saw fit to replace the end portion of the snake's tail with a rattle. That way the snake could remind humans that not every piece of land is theirs, and if they tread too close to the snake's territory, there would be dire consequences.


Author's note: My inspiration for this story came from The Rattlesnake's Vengeance. In the story, a mother hears a commotion outside where her children are playing, and rushes out to find a yellow rattlesnake. She abruptly ends its life. Later, her husband is walking back from hunting when he hears the strange noise of the other snakes lamenting over the loss of their leader. Once the man hears of the terrible thing his wife had done, and fearing worse retaliation from the snakes if he does not agree, he decides that he will help the black rattlesnake kill his wife. When the man returns home, he requests fresh spring water from his wife who goes out to retrieve it. The black snake had been waiting outside of the door for this moment, and struck her down. The man then comes out to see what had happened, and the black snake informs him that their tribe was now satisfied. I loosely used the same setting, but instead of the mom coming out whenever the children saw the snake, I decided to let them handle it. Humans are greedy by nature, and normally do not think about the other creatures that once inhabited or still inhabit the space they claim, so I tried to show that in my story. I also wanted to show how angry they got whenever the snake told them that they had no claim to the land. Originally, the story was going to be about the snake's revenge, but I found that it felt to flow better if the snake never retaliated in the story, Instead, the snake gained a way to hurt the human's pride by claiming its territory with the rattle.

Inspired by The Rattlesnake's Vengeance from Myths of the Cherokee by James Mooney. Link to story

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I think the twist in your story flow better than the original version because children tend to be more impulsive in what they do than the adult. After reading the author’s, I amazed more deep insight for the original story. I agreed with you that hurting human’s pride sounded like a better revenge and more humane. I understand the husband’s in the original story, but I can’t agree to what he had done. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    I like how you started the story in the same style as traditional Native American storytelling. That made it feel authentic. The whole story was written very well, and it has a nice flow. I think the story is relevant to what is happening with the North Dakota Pipeline, and it serves as a good reminder that people are greedy by nature, but not everything is inherently theirs. The gods were just, and the punishment fit the crime. Great story!
    Thorpe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris, I found that your story was very nice and also very original. You actually convey a great message of how we should not hurt animals just like but unfortunately we humans are very greedy like you say and a lot of us don't care a lot about nature. I think this is a great lesson for many people. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your future stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chris,

    What an awesome story! Your writing style is very easy to read, and I breezed right through this. I love the message you've included here. I couldn't agree more that humans have very little respect for the animals we share this planet with (and the planet itself!) and I think you convey that beautifully in this story. Even your first line—A long time ago when we could still talk to the other animals—helps get the message across. I think it's interesting that you chose to make the snake so combative. I'm not sure if that's the approach I would have taken, but it definitely gives your story a deeper, more cynical layer. I'm glad you included such a detailed description of your source story in your author's note. I wasn't familiar with it, but I feel like I got the gist from your summary. Keep up the great work. I'm excited to revisit your portfolio as the semester goes on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You put little snit-bits of details throughout your story and I really liked that because it doesn’t disrupt the fluidity of your story as whole. It keeps being a fast read and I like that. There is nothing worse than a story that drags on from here to eternity. I got just a teensy bit confused about the three boys they all kind of blended together a little and it got to the point I couldn’t distinguish one from the other and couldn’t really picture three of them. I think giving each a certain characteristic (or a certain look) will help to not only personalize them, but give them each the ability to stand out on their own. Much like you did with the snake. I hope that if you go back and edit more that you will extend your ending more, it seemed out of place and sudden, but time and word count usually puts such a damper on things like this. Otherwise, I do think your story was well written and I’m super happy that I could read it this week. :)

    ReplyDelete