Monday, October 17, 2016

Storytelling Week 9: Spider's Woven World

In the beginning, there was but a single being. An ancient spider by the name of Susstistinnako. He lived in darkness as spiders love. However, uncharacteristically of a spider, he became lonely. He did not know what this sensation was, nor how to respond to it. This feeling began to burden him heavily. To take his mind off of it, he began to weave his web. Not in the traditional way which he always weaved, but in a way such that there were now protrusions out of the dark earth. Everywhere there were fields of his web, and in some places massive columns. When he had finished weaving these, he noticed that the feeling had not gone away, so he began to weave his web into new shapes. He weaved his silk as strong as steel into masses of all shapes and sizes filled with all the intricacies his imagination could fulfill. He worked in this fashion for eon upon eon, still fashioning shapes which he had no name for, but felt right for him to create.

Don't kill the spiders in your yard. They will kill your mosquitoes. Spiders that build webs outside in the yard are not poisonous.
Spider web     Source: Pinterest
Finally, Susstistinnako realized that he no longer possessed neither the capabilities for weaving in his ancient limbs, nor the will to go on. And so Susstistinnako returned to his home and silently passed away. Susstistinnako's spirit left the earth to a place far above in the sky. It split into two pieces, one much larger than the other, but the other so bright and powerful that it lit the earth as far as the eye could see. The part of his spirit that had become the sun illuminated a sea of silvery structures. As the light began to warm these structures something very peculiar happened. Wind began to blow on the surface of the earth, and the structures began to move. Not with purpose in the beginning, but rather letting the wind take them where they would. After a time, the bright part of Susstistinnako's spirit had sent so much of itself to the earth that these forms began to come alive. Instead of merely flowing with the wind they were able to go against it. The heat from the sun had melded the fields of hairlike protrusions into grass and the tall columns into trees. His most intricate creations had become all sorts of animals and insects. Humans, fish, and all manner of life now inhabited the earth.

The moon had been taking in light from the sun for some time as well and awoke. This was Susstistinnako's consciousness. From his new perch high in the sky he could see all of his creations wandering the earth. He realized that in order to keep moving they would need moisture, and so using the power of the moon he drew the water out of the earth and towards the surface toward him. He realized that this is what he had been missing all that time in the dark. Watching his pale creations take on all the colors of the rainbow filled a place he had never known was empty. And so the moon, the sun, and all of the inhabitants of the earth were made.



Story inspired by "Spider's Creation" from Myths and Legends of California and the Old Southwest by Katharine Judson    Link to story

Author's note:

Spider's Creation was a story in which a spider sings the world and all of its living things into existence. The story was a bit different to me, as it began with the spider setting two "parcels" at opposite ends of the world. After stringing a line across the world connecting the two parcels, the spider began to sing. Eventually, two people come out of the parcels. These people go on to become the sun and the moon. This was perhaps the strangest part of the story for me. I just didn't think that any of this really had anything to do with spider. Also, the original story never really tells what happens to spider, so my story focused on him more. I was inspired to try writing a story like this myself, and in a way that actually utilized the amazing talents of the spider. I also knew that many spiders died soon after giving birth to a new generation of spiders, so I thought that was a good way to explain life coming about the earth. I imagined a silvery world shrouded in darkness before spider became the sun and the moon. I really enjoyed writing this story since it was the first that I have written of this type.

5 comments:

  1. This story is beautiful. I got so much joy from reading it. I was confused but the mystery of the different shapes that Susstistinnako was weaving and I thought the story was over whenever he died. I really enjoyed the fact that Susstistinnako was able to actually see his many different creations become beings and move around. These are the types of origin stories that I like to read about. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you did a different take on how the world was created. It was very creative. It was unfortunate and sad how Susstistinnako lived a lonely life, but he was able to enjoy his creations after dying. It was interesting and creative how his spirit split in two to become the sun and the moon while his creations became living and non-living things in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Chris! This was so creative. You are a terrific writer and really set the scene. I am seriously so impressed! I love how much detail goes into each and every sentence. It makes the writing really enjoyable and honestly makes it fun to read. I felt so bad for Susstistinnako and his lonely life. I like how you keep the momentum going though. His web creations sound magnificent! You did a terrific job with the Sun and the Moon. I also really enjoy your theme for the portfolio. It gives off a nature setting, which is really nice for the Spider’s Woven World. (Also, so fun that you have the weather on the side! I have not seen that!) I think your portfolio is turning out really nicely. I like the structure you have behind it, which makes for an awesome foundation. Keep up the amazing work! Can’t wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chris!

    I really enjoyed reading your story. It was super descriptive and a beautiful story to read. I enjoyed your word choice throughout the story and how you focused on his part of the story and how his spirit split into the sun and moon. Overall it was a great read, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was beautifully written. I have never read the story you rewrote, but I can imagine that it had this ethereal quality to it. Great job, on capturing wonderment and magic. It was hard to follow your story at first, I’m not sure why because it was so simple. I think that was my problem mainly, the simpler it is the less I can understand it. I think it was really greatly written. I wish I could critique it more to help you in the process. I just have no idea what was said in the original story, so I’m not exactly sure how I could help you.
    Great job on making a really unique connection between a spider’s web and the creation of the world. I never thought of that before, but it does make sense. In this case I’m so glad that you did not put in dialogue, it didn’t need it. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete