Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Reading Notes Part B: Tales of the Round Table

I've been interested in middle English writing ever since I read The Canterbury Tales in high school. The stories of King Arthur and his knights of the round table are just as great, if not better, in my opinion. The story of the White Knight and Sir Galahad was a little confusing. I wasn't sure if the White Knight was supposed to represent an angel or not, but it seemed that he was otherworldly because he told a knight that no earthly being should know his name. After telling Galahad he should wield the shield, he leaves. From there, Galahad returns to the Abbey and confronts some sort of fiend. However, the fiend can't attack him because it sees angels around him. I'm not sure if this is because Galahad is very pure, or the shield wields the power of angels. These stories are really inspiring me to write a story of knights.

Sir Lancelot and an unkown knight
Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment