Sunday, October 2, 2016

A Deadly Trickster

The days had been darkening for quite some in the lands near Mordor. Some had attributed it to Mount Doom becoming increasingly agitated, seemingly on the brink of an eruption. Still others blamed the Deceiver, as every inn from the Blue Mountains to the Mirkwood held stories whispered with great care taken not to be overheard by the passing trader or shrouded Ranger. These whispers carried with them the chilling news of a dark entity rising in the far west. Everyone had noticed the shapes moving through the trees at night, or heard of the villages razed overnight with no survivors to relay a warning to the outside world.

 It was in these times that a creature older than the first men found a home in Torech Ungol, a winding, twisting cave in the pass of Cirith Ungol. The creature’s name was Anansi. He had eight wretched legs connected to an abdomen covered in silvery gray hair. Numerous eyes kept watch of everything that happened in the cave, and a pair of fangs longer than most daggers lay in wait to sink into the flesh of anyone who came into the lair.

The orcs in nearby Mordor often played a game. In the fashion befitting an orc, the game was less about fun than it was cruelty. As much as orcs love inflicting pain on others, they also relish the feeling of receiving it, mostly because it removes them from their piteous world for a split second. When the game started they would begin giving their opponent superficial cuts, taking great care to not slip and slice too deeply. This would continue until either one of the contestants lost consciousness from loss of blood. The loser would then have the wounds received cauterized and be taken to the steps of Torech Ungol. It was in Anansi's nature to be particularly greedy, oftentimes ensaring a bearer of the loser as well. The creature loved to play with its food, however, and a silky smooth voice emanated from somewhere in the dark mandible coaxing the orcs to play a game of life or death. Anansi promised that if at least one orc could find a way to the pool of water in the very center of his lair, both would be free to leave. He would also give his word that he would not attack the orcs until he had solved a riddle given to him by the orc. Now, most orcs were well known to be exceedingly dim-witted, but in this particular case the loser happened to be an older guard in the torture chamber, and he had heard one prisoner consoling himself time and time again with one riddle. It read:

I come like a thief in the night.
I take everything, but at the same time nothing.
You know me, and sometimes even welcome me at your bed.
I am at once a gateway and a wall.
What am I?


                Anansi had never gotten a riddle so eloquent from an orc. Often it was a nasty curse or a crude laugh he received. The orcs stumbled through the darkness for a good while as Anansi mulled the riddle over. The older orc heard the splash of a water droplet into a larger body and began heading towards it. Just as he reached the edge of the pool there he heard the clicking of fangs, and a whisper. Death.


Author's note: 
I love The Lord of the Rings, so whenever I got the chance to write about a spider I compared Anansi to Shelob, a large dangerous spider that guards a passageway into Mordor. For those who don't know, Mordor is the home of the main antagonist of the trilogy. Anansi is a spider from many West African folktales. He is a known trickster who regularly uses his smarts to get things that he wants from others. I tried to incorporate some of the cunning which Anansi shows in folktales such as Anansi and Nothing. In the story, he convinces a rich man that lives nearby that it would be fun to trade clothes while they go into town and find wives. Anansi tricks women into believing that he is the rich one while the other man struggles to find a suitable wife. Finally, they return to their respective homes with wives, and all is made clear. By adding a chilling characteristic in which Anansi plays with his food a la the riddle game, I incorporate some of Anansi into the cold-blooded killing machine of Shelob in the LoTR setting. I have included a link to the Wikipedia page for Shelob in case anyone reading is interested in learning more about her. She is one of the creepiest things the protagonists face in the books, and also one of my favorite parts of the movies. 

Partially inspired by Anansi and Nothing in West African Folktales by William H. Barker and Cecilia Sinclair.

Setting inspired by the book The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkein--Shelob



Image result for shelob's lair
The Two Towers        Source:Wikipedia

6 comments:

  1. Chris, I have never watched the lord of the rings (which is a shame), but I still really enjoyed your story. What especially caught my attention was the great description of the setting. In addition, I thought the picture for your story really helped me to envision the setting after reading. One recommendation I have would be to put the picture at the beginning or middle of the story so that the reader would be able to capture this image in their mind earlier. I felt like this would have immediately sped me up to where the story was going and what kind of tone you were attempting to reach throughout the plot. One other aspect I really liked about your story was the riddle. I have always been a fan of riddles and I think it gives a good break through your story. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing your portfolio progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really missed the dialogue in this story. You have such a great concept and drama that I think it would really add something even more special. The riddle was really great and I’m glad you included it further heightens the story and makes it rather interesting. I tend to agree with Tyler. The photo would have been better off in the middle or the beginning. It needs something to break it a part that way it doesn’t read like the beginning of a book (pre-dialogue). Other than that it was really fantastic story and you really capture the spirit of Lord of the Rings! It’s been so long since I have watched the movies and I have never read the stories. I can really appreciate and understand the enormous task you undertook by trying to connect it to Tolkien. I don’t think I could do it, but I really was never a fan of either ( I KNOW I KNOW!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris!
    I have actually never seen Lord of the Rings and I am not familiar with the terminology. Your story was still extremely in depth and very interesting! I think it was a great twist on the story and you were extremely creative in your writing. Great job! I am excited to see more of your work throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was GREAT. I’m also totally a Tolkien nerd, so I loved how you blended these two elements, taking names from both sources. I particularly liked the way you incorporated the riddle (I paused reading to try and guess the answer before reading on), and the creepy way in which you incorporated the answer. It was a fantastic ending. This was creative and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chris, I really enjoy your portfolio theme of spiders. One story captures the creepy-crawly nature of them while your other one shines a new light on them as the creator of all things. The contrast between the two stories is really great.

    For this particular story, I noticed maybe a few typos, especially in the first sentence. I think you are missing the word time. "The days had been darkening for quite some [time] in the lands near Mordor."

    Did you come up with this riddle by yourself or did you take it from the Lord of the Rings stories? It is really well written. Even though you do not go into much detail about the older orc. I can not help but want to have hims reach the pool of water before Anansi figures out the riddle. The way you ended the story was bone chilling and left me wanting to know more.

    This was a great story and I look forward to reading your others later this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris,
    When I began reading, I could immediately tell you have experience writing, or you simply enjoy it. You are very talented and as I am reading, I am more and more intrigued by the different characters and places you refer to right off the bat. I never would have thought to incorporate characters from other books or movies, but the way that you wrote it was brilliant. I can tell you are a fan of Lord of the Rings, and I wish I could say the same about myself. I have never read the books or seen any of the movies before so many of the characters that you are mentioning are unfamiliar to me, but this can also create an imaginative beginning. I don't quite have faces to match the names, but you have done a great job of painting those pictures for the reader in these stories.
    After I read this first story, I was wondering if the quote you used was pulled from a certain story or if it was all your own writing. I think it would be good for the reader to know this because it is such a focal point in the story. I really enjoy reading your writing and I look forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete